WORSHIP THIS SUNDAY, AUGUST 2ND
There are several options for worshiping together on Sunday, August 2nd:
1. Go to the St. Augustine's Facebook (www.facebook.com/staugmet) at either 8:00 am, 9:30 am (español), or 10:30 am. The services at those times will be "live."
2. If you don't have access to the internet, you can dial in and listen live at those times by dialing (888)958-7272 and then entering one of these access codes (you can only listen while the service is "live"):
8:00 - 588402236
10:30 - 459715149
3. Go to the St. Augustine's Facebook (www.facebook.com/staugmet) at any time and watch the recorded services.
These options are particularly appropriate for individuals 65 years or older and people of all ages with poor control of medical issues like high blood pressure, heart disease, obesity, or a weakened immune system. (Or those who have gotten accustomed to church in their pajamas!)
4. Come to St. Augustine's for in-person, indoor worship at 8:00 am, or 10:30 am.
If you decide to come, here's an idea of what to do and what to expect:
- The liturgy will be similar to the past few weeks, that is to say we will not celebrate Holy Eucharist.
- You'll need to wear a mask. If you don't have one, we will give you one.
- You will be "checked in" so that we can have a roster of attendance should contact tracing be necessary later. The "check-in" will take place by the fountain in the gatehouse.
- We will skip a pew between congregants and ask people to maintain six feet of distance between family groups.
- If we run out of pew space, Byrd Hall will be set up as an overflow area to watch on Facebook Live.
- Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the church.
- You will need to print and bring the bulletin and/or your personal Book of Common Prayer. Printed bulletins will not be provided and all books have been removed from the pews.
- We will not "pass the plate," but the offertory plates will be set out for your donations.
- The church will be disinfected between services. This will be possible in part because Darlene Fisher, our Housekeeper, has agreed to adjust her hours to work on Sundays. She'll be assisted by members of the Altar Guild and Vestry.
- Chase will play and sing from the choir loft.
- We will not provide any shared food or beverages after the services.
- The Nursery will not be open.
Thanks for those helping with our worship this week:
8:00 am Susan Scotton, Lay Reader; Chris Henneman, Usher
10:30 am Dotty Suthon, Lay Reader; Linda Jones, Usher
Annual Parish Meeting - This Sunday
The Annual Parish Meeting will be called to order at 9:30 am this Sunday, August 2nd via Zoom. The Zoom meeting room will open at 9:15 am. The information for the Zoom meeting will be sent under separate cover.
Database Update Efforts
Our ability to communicate with each other when we are not able to gather in person has become more important than ever. It has also become clear that our database is in desperate need of updating. Fortunately, we are also slightly more accessible since many of us are staying and/or working from home. Therefore, the Vestry has decided to accept Dee Smith's generous offer to use her skills to contact each family unit to gather mailing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, and dates of birth. Please be on the lookout for a call from Dee Smith.
Bissonet Plaza Back to School Project
Our partners in mission, Bissonet Plaza Elementary School, have requested a
few supplies as they prepare for the 2020 school year. Please go to this link to sign up.
Please deliver your purchases to church by August 9th. If you have questions
or need assistance with purchases or delivery please call Susan Scotton 504-258-6648
Blessing of the Backpacks
On Sunday, August 9th, we will ask God's blessing upon our kids' backpacks. By doing so we are seeking God's guidance and presence over the entirety of this coming school year. It is an entrusting of our students, parents, teachers and staff to God's care. It is more important than ever.
Please participate in whatever way feels right and safest for you and your family. In addition to the in-person services at 8:00 and 10:30 am, you can also watch live at www.facebook.com/staugmet.
Whether live or at-home, teachers and students will have the opportunity to lift their backpacks and other school supplies in order to ask God's blessing upon this entire effort. I look forward to beginning another year with you...and with God's blessing.
Back to Adult Christian Formation; Back to the Basics
On Sunday, August 9th we will return to Adult Christian Education albeit in a different way. The plan is to gather virtually in a Zoom meeting from 9:15 to 10:00 am. The link will be sent out as we get closer to the date. The topic for August 9th, 16th, and 23rd will be Episcopal Church 101. This introduction into faith and "way" of being church is intended as a refresher for some, a preparation for those to be Confirmed, or an introduction for those who are curious. All are welcome!