St. Augustine's Church began as a missionary outreach of St. Martin's Episcopal Church in 1954.
The land on which our church is located is part of the original property donated from St. Martin's School. Our twenty-five charter members, under the leadership of The Rev. John Stone Jenkins and The Rt. Rev. William Farwell, held their first services in the school's gymnasium. As the church grew, school buses were used as Sunday school classrooms. Through our history, we have had the great fortune to have excellent leadership from our five rectors: The Rev. Thomas C. Aycock, The Rev. Albertus L. DeLoach, The Rev. John A. Lawrence, The Rev. Ralph M. Byrd, and The Rev. A. J. Heine. Today, St. Augustine's is a parish of over 300 families, and we are actively searching for our sixth rector.
Our facilities have grown with us. In March, 1957 ground was broken for our first building - the ground floor of our present parish hall. Our sanctuary was completed in 1961 and the second floor of our parish hall was added in 1964. The building which houses our school, offices, and parlor, the sacristy, gate house and fencing was completed in 1984. In 1999 a very successful capital funds drive made it possible to completely renovate and restore the church - a much needed project after nearly 50 years of use.
(The caption here reads: "THE GROUND-BREAKING CEREMONY FOR ST. AUGUSTINE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH, METAIRIE, FEBRUARY 24, 1957 - Turning the first shovel-full of soil for the new church building is the Rt. Rev. Girault M. Jones, Bishop of Louisiana. Others, reading from his left, include the Rev. Stephen L. Skardon, St. Paul's Church, Dean of the Convocation; the acolytes headed by Dupre S. Spiller, Jr., crucifer, formerly of St. Martin's Church; the Rev. Bernard J. Hellmann, of St. Philip's Church, Aurora Gardens; the Rev. Hugh Crockett McKee, rector of St. Martin's Church; the Rev. Frank W. Robert, curate of Grace Church, and the Rev. John Stone Jenkins, founder and first priest of the Mission, who was assistant headmaster of St. Martin's School. The Rev. Thomas C. Aycock, Jr., succeeded Father Jenkins. St. Augustine's received eight lots for the church site in Green Acres as a donation by St. Martin's Church in response to Bishop Jones request of St. Martin's for a tract of "raw land" upon which to build a diocesan mission. Many of the first parishioners came from St. Martin's Church.")
The programs of our parish have grown along with our facilities. St. Augustine's has always had a strong commitment to education - both secular and religious. Our programs for our children, youth and adults are given the highest priority. Our Day School for children 2 1/2 through 4 years of age is professionally staffed and supervised by a dedicated board of volunteers who maintain a strong bond between the church and school.
St. Augustine's is a living, vital place.
Our facilities are constantly in use. Our Altar Guild, Choir, Lay Eucharistic Ministers, Lectors and Acolytes provide opportunities for service and growth within the setting of worship. The Men's Club, Episcopal Church Women, Daughters of the King, Upreach 55, the Hospital Ministry Team, parish wide mission trips, our annual Pumpkin Patch, and our Book Store carry the opportunities for growth and Christian ministry beyond the confines of our buildings. The buildings themselves are used by many community groups for their meetings.
We thank God for the opportunities and blessings He has bestowed upon His Church in Metairie.